Friday, September 19, 2008

The Evolution of a Music Snob

Last night Kerra and I were lucky enough to see Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers downtown at Stubb's. The show was amazing. These guys are one of the most entertaining bands around. Their creed: We love music, but we love laughing more. We laughed. A lot. Their show reflects their creed well. Here's a picture I snapped.



Concerts always make me think. Last night I thought about how sad I was to see only 200 hundred people come out to see this show. I thought about how rude the people were at the bar who paid fifteen bucks to sit in the back of a room and shout at each other rather than listen to a great show. I thought about how frustrating it must be to tour all over the country, playing to audiences like this, where half the people are tuned in and the other half could care less. I mostly thought about how grateful I was to Stephen, Goose, and Boots for playing their hearts out to a dismal crowd because they love music but love to make people laugh more.

Growing up I was a pretentious music snob. Everyone who came in contact with me knew that I hated Country, hated Hip-Hop, and especially hated Rap music. I was all about Rock and Roll from the first time my sister introduced me to Our Lady Peace, Nirvana, and Smashing Pumpkins. I bet I was really annoying.

I continued on that way for my teen years and on into college, but after college I began to ease off some, embracing all sorts of music, both mainstream and independent. I've realized that I can enjoy Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, and Rock and Roll. All genres have good things to offer.

But.

After last night, I'm finding that I think I'm still a music snob, or at least I'm evolving into one again. This time it doesn't have anything to do with genre, so much as it has to do with music. Questions like "Did you write it?" "Have you earned it?" "Are you saying anything worth hearing?" Is it creative?" "Is it clever," "Is it all about money?" "Is it all about you?" These questions come to mind. There is something to the words of Derek Zoolander, "Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero.
The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that." I know this quote is ridiculous, but I think there's something to it. When artists put in the work, I respect that. I might not listen to their album over and over again, cause it might not appeal to my ears, but I have much more respect for them than I would for an artist whose music was written for them and whose vocals were tracked. We'll see where this evolution takes me. For now I'll enjoy finding artists who do what they do well and do it for the love of music. And love to laugh, too.