So today is the first day of school for thousands of High School students all over West Austin. Approximately 5300 in just Westlake, Lake Travis and Dripping Springs High Schools, not to mention Bowie, St. Andrews, Regents, and St. Michaels, which would add a couple thousand more. I was thinking on the way to work this morning what my prayers for them would be on their first day of school. Here's what I came up with.
1. That Jesus would be lifted high by the many students from multiple churches represented.
2. That students could live out the many commitments they made this summer toward the first day of school, or even remember them for that matter. Also that they could fight through the guilt/frustration of broken commitments to remain in the game.
3. That students would remember that the God is present with them and that that would be significant to them.
4. That students could find the courage to push through skewed perceptions of themselves and their place on the social ladder, to find life that is really life. How cool would it be to see a bunch of kids comfortable in their own skin.
5. That Upper Classmen would find greatness in service to those younger than them.
I'm also praying for Kerra Gentzel today as she starts a new job. I'm so proud of her. She already brought a teacher friend to church yesterday before school even started. I love my life.