Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Scripture+Post Rock=Love


This morning I just kind of stumbled upon a fresh way to read the Bible. If you're anything like me, faithfulness to reading scripture daily can sometimes be difficult. This method caught me by surprise and made my time in Luke 14 sincerely dynamic. Here's how it works...

1. Visit www.esvonline.org. Here you'll find a user-friendly site and one of my favorite translations: the English Standard Version.
2. Enter your passage for the day.
3. Now open itunes and find your favorite post-rock band. (explosions in the sky, this will destroy you, sigur ros, mogwai, etc..) Today I chose, This Will Destroy You, a delightful band from San Marcos, Texas pictured to the right.
4. Hit play in itunes. Adjust music to background levels.
5. Click back on your browser and click the listen tab above the selected verses of scripture that you're in for the day. (The man's voice is American English and is not obnoxious, thank goodness!)
6. Now sit back and enjoy or read along as scripture and music mingle together.

That's it. I like this method, at least today, because it mixes auditory and visual learning as well as awakening that part of my brain that works through things creatively, hopefully employing both left and right regions of my brain simultaneously. Either way, its enjoyable. I would personally advocate for music without words. So if its Mozart or Dead Mau5 or Derek Webb's new Feedback record its great, just don't let the music get in the way of the words God has for you. Enjoy!

Live Love.