Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wet Foot, Mos Def, and the Story We Find Ourselves In

As most of you know, I am an avid movie-goer. There are few things in this world that I enjoy more than taking my wife to a thought provoking flick. That's not to say that its her favorite thing, but she humors me. I remember this summer I saw previews for Be Kind Rewind, a movie about a video store gone wrong, staring Jack Black and Mos Def. I instantly knew that I had to see it. So as usual I charted its release and knew the exact location and time I wanted to see it. To make a long story short, some plans changed and I was set to see it on opening night at the Alamo Drafthouse. The problem with my plan came when I remembered that some good friends of mine were having an engagement party, and we were going to be back in town early enough to go. So of course we went, and it was great, but I still had that 10:05 showing in mind. We would leave their party at 9:30 and arrive just in time to catch a late dinner and a movie.

Needless to say, our plans changed. See the house we went to for this party was extremely contemporary in nature. Contemporary clocks, art, furniture, electronics, lights and backyard. I mean it: contemporary. So as Kerra and I enjoyed a stimulating conversation beside the pool with our friend John Branch, I realized that it was now time to make our gracious exit and book it to the movie. As those thoughts were entering my mind, I took a nonchalant step to my left and rather than finding my foot rested on what I though was grass, instead it sunk 12 inches into what I found was a shallow inlet between the hot-tub and the pool. That's right, in front of God and everyone, I stepped into the pool. Raising my soggy foot from those dark waters I quickly placed it, dripping, squarely next to one that was much drier. We had a laugh, and I realized that these friends were good friends, good enough to laugh out loud, but in a kind way; the way a friend does instead of acting cold or indifferent. I dried off, and by the time I felt comfortable walking into these people's house it was too late to catch the movie. That doesn't mean we didn't try. I drove possessed across Austin, one foot warm and one cold to add to the angst of being late, still hellbent on making it, and yet it just wasn't mean to be. We didn't make it. Be Kind Rewind would have to wait until another day...